Non-Negotiables

Hi, y'all!

It's been a hot minute. I was feeling stuck for a little while, trying to juggle everything I have going on and wanting to do more has been quite the challenge lately. My cow, dog, studies, job, business marketing with my mom, etc. Plus wanting to do more and find more ways to create capital.

Anyway, I had a talk with my parents the other day and I realized that one of the reasons I felt so stuck was because I hadn't given myself anything with which to measure my progress (if any) that I was making. So I sat down and wrote down a few goals for myself, just little ones. Then I wrote down everything I need and want to do in the month of September. 

It was a good start. But then I realized that I often create goals and things for myself, but forget and ultimately never follow through on them. I concluded that I needed something not only to shoot for, but something else to help keep me accountable and create self-discipline. 

So, I sat down and wrote out my seven Non-Negotiables. These are things that I need to focus on if I am going to be successful in any aspect of my life; Goals, money, etc.  They aren't related to any specific goal, but the are a framework of self-discipline on which to build my life. So, without further adieu, my Non-Negotiables: 

  1. Pray every day. Ask what I am supposed to do that day to serve God and his purpose for me.
  2. Serve someone every day.
  3. Study the scriptures every day.
  4. Have a plan and follow through on it every day.
  5. Tell the truth every day.
  6. Give 110% every day.
  7. Act as though I am the only person responsible for my life every day because I am.
Now, I know the "every day" gets repetitive. But that is actually a very important part. Self-discipline is the actions that we take consistently every day. Adding the "every day" is what emphasizes that consistency. 

You might also notice that the first three Non-Negotiables (Pray every day, Serve someone every day, and Study the scriptures every day) seem like answers you would expect to hear in Sunday school. This is because they are inspired by Matthew 16:33 which states: "But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

In all that I do, I will seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and the things that God has set aside to be mine shall be added unto me. But the relationship I have with him comes first, for without that he cannot give me the mission and things he has for me. This is because, without a relationship with him, I would search for other things and not be open to receiving the blessings and responsibilities he has for me.

Non-Negotiables 4 - 7 are to hold me accountable. I want to be productive every day, and you can't really be productive without accountability. So these are for me to be accountable to myself, these are to put a stop to the excuses that I tell myself.

I encourage you to come up with your own Non-negotiables and push for the things that you want in life. Because that is why we are here. We all have something that God has in store for us if we only develop that relationship and want to serve him.

~Savannah Taylor 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!

August Farm Walk